Another Member Of Music Royalty Dies With No Will
Legendary singer, Aretha Franklin succumbed to pancreatic cancer at the age of 76 on August 16, 2018, and she was accorded funeral rites usually reserved for heads of state. But the diva who famously demanded respect, sadly, died without a will.
Her estate is subject to probate, and a long-drawn out public legal proceeding to hear claims by her four children and other relatives — an undignified end for music royalty.
While Ms. Franklin was a genius by most measures and her music legacy lives on, she appears to have had a blind spot when it came to money and, perhaps, mortality. A minister's daughter, the Queen of Soul, was known to demand payment in cash before performing live and keep the cash near her onstage.
Probate proceedings have often resulted in public family fights and big legal fees, and music rights owned by an artist heighten the stakes and greed. The case of Prince, who died in 2016 without a will, has reportedly led to family disputes and revocation of a multimillion-dollar music deal.
Instead of leaving a legacy defined on her own terms, Ms. Franklin's family is subject to a public probate proceeding, which can turn ugly.
If you do not have a will or know you have a blind spot around dealing with money and planning properly, please call and let us try to help you.
This article was written by a veteran financial journalist. While the sources are believed to be reliable, the information is not intended to be used as financial advice without consulting a professional about your personal situation.
- Retail Sales Coverage Reflected The Narrow View Of The Media
- Small-Business Optimism Declines But Remains High
- Analysis Of New Employment, Manufacturing & Service Economy Data
- Quarter Ends Well Despite Trade War, Inverted Yield Curve & Political Crisis
- No Recession But A Slower Pace Of Growth
- Fickle Financial Headlines Brighten
- Economy Gets Bad Press Again
- Europe's Growth Problem And Your Portfolio
- Stocks Dropped 2.6% On Friday, As Reality Gap Seemed To Widen
- A Prudent Perspective On Recent Volatility
- A Tale Of Two Economies
- Amid Worries, New Equity Risk Premium Data Explained
- GDP Rose More Than Expected; Stocks Top Record Again
- Slower Growth Confirmed By June Leading Economic Indicators
- Stocks Closed At A Record High; Should You Worry?
- Amid Record Stock Prices, Fed Policy Is A Risk
- Uncle Sam Delivers A Strong Economy
- A Dramatic Pause, As Expansion Breaks Longevity Record
- The Explosion In Real Retail Sales You Never Hear About
- Amid Signs Of Weakness, Fed Reverses Course; Stocks Rally
- Three Stories Affecting Your Wealth This Week
- Buried In The Fed's Financial Stability Report, A Potential Risk To Investors
- Forget Everything You Know About Inflation
- China Trade War Sparks Fear But Not Stock Losses